Aug 5, 2013

Green with Envy - Miss Mustard Seed's Boxwood

This week, I didn't actually go all the way to the back of the project pile, but finished a project that I've had sitting in the garage for several weeks (which will free up the walkway to get back to the pile again!).


When I brought this baby home, I posted about her on Facebook and here on the blog.  No question, this dresser has been on my mind since I spotted her while trying to decide what to do with it.  I bounced back and forth on colors - anywhere from black to white.  Still not feeling it, I started seeing green.....Miss Mustard Seed's Boxwood Milk Paint, that is.  I've done several pieces in her Luckett's Green and was excited to try this deeper shade.


I really love working with Milk Paint, but I'm always careful about what pieces I use it on.  I didn't want a lot of chipping on this one, but I wanted it to have a rustic look to go with the top.  We had to strip off the warped and badly splintering veneer top which left the rough underlayment.  I sanded and stained that with dark walnut and I actually loved the not-so-perfect look to it!  It laid the ground for where I wanted to go with this piece.


I painted the majority of the dresser, but left the only two drawers with curly maple veneer natural.  I used bonding agent when I mixed up the first batch of paint to minimize the chips.  Once dried after one more coat (this time with no bonding agent), I added a light sanding, distressed the details of the gorgeous carvings, added several coats of wax - and she was just about done. 



I chose simple walnut stained wood knobs on the two lower drawers and pulled out the last two iron bird knobs I had left in my stash and painted them to match the dresser.  With that - ALL DONE!


After a lot of fretting and pacing back and forth in front of it for weeks, I'm really happy with the way it turned out.  I like to use color, but try to keep things somewhat simple and classic.  This green was perfect in contrast with the wood!




UPDATE:  She sold almost immediately and made a road trip to her new home!
'Til then!

Linking to:




UPDATE!

Here she is in her new home.  Gorgeous!!!!



35 comments:

  1. I'm seriously drooling. You did an amazing makeover - it is stunning. Thanks for sharing at Knick of Time Tuesday - I'll be featuring you next week at the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow!! Thank you so much! I am truly honored and so excited! :)

      Delete
  2. Susan, this is gorgeous. You are soooo talented! I'm honored to have a "Susan" piece in my home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous!!!!!! ~Ann at Tarnished Royalty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!!!! The dresser is truly fabulous! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very very nice, Susan. I would be hesitant to use green, but this is absolutely stunning! A great choice. I found you on Savvy and now I'll become one of your followers. Thank you for sharing this sweet makeover.

    patty
    Castroville, texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! :)I've used green on a very few pieces, but I'm glad I chose it for this. The pictures really don't do it justice...the color really has more depth to it than it shows.

      Delete
  7. Susan, do you have any way for me to follow you by receiving your blog via email ?

    patty
    soriano471@sbcglobal.net

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have the feature, yet...but I'm going to look into it tonight! I'll let you know.

      Delete
    2. The button is now there on top left. :)

      Delete
  8. Updates, please. That is the prettiest piece I've seen in a long time.
    If I may ask, what did you price it at (pricing is always tricky for us).
    Has it sold yet?
    You did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just liked your Facebook page and saw that the beautiful dresser was going to FL. I didn't think it would last long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! She said that she will send me pictures when it's in its new home. I can't wait to see it and will share. :)

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness I cannot even begin to explain how unbelievably gorgeous this is! I love every single thing you did to it!! Love, love, love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am still shocked at the reaction this dresser got. :)

      Delete
  11. This is just one beautiful dresser and you did an excellent job, picking the color and painting it. Love it..Happy Tuesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love green and this boxwood color is gorgeous. Your dresser looks like a work of art, so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I'm incredibly impressed. It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! The piece had wonderful lines then you gave them new life. Job well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stopping in to say hello. This piece is fantastic, great color choice as well as where it was applied. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm green with envy! :) I love this so much that I featured it today as a Friday Favorite. I hope you stop by to see how I bragged about you.

    Have a wonderful creative week~

    Robin
    http://redoityourselfinspirations.blogspot.com/2014/11/friday-five-fabulous-furniture-features_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the way this turned out! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Susan! I've been debating whether or not to paint a dresser I have in Boxwood, and then I came across this dresser of yours on pinterest. It's gorgeous! I think it's helping me decide to go with Boxwood on mine. You did a beautiful job on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love this color and have done several pieces using it. I'd love to see yours!

      Delete
  19. You did this fine piece justice. The color shows great and keeping parts stained just looks fantastic. Truly beautiful.
    Barbara Ann
    etsy.com /shop/barbaraannscreations

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes, You Just Need to Look Past the Ugly....

Many, many times I will buy the most ugliest piece at auction - then be amused by the looks I get as I proudly walk out with my "prize...