Aug 27, 2013

Easy to Make Burlap Pumpkins

Welcome to Make it Happen Monday (ok....well a day late!)
First and foremost, I want to thank everyone who took the time to comment on my posts about my CoCo, said a prayer and even emailed me.  The outpouring of love that I received was just amazing and greatly appreciated!  I am comforted in the fact that she is now happier than I can ever imagine and that she will forever live in our memories.  Thank you all!!
Now, let's talk about fall!  I have been putting off crafting for a while, but it's time to get my rear in gear!  I love Pinterest (who doesn't!) and finding adorable and easy projects is always at our fingertips.  One of my favorite Pinterest projects for fall are these adorable burlap pumpkins.  I made these last year for my the shop and they were a hit - not to mention that they are extremely easy and fun to make!

No real sewing ability is required....if you can manage a needle and a gather stitch....you are good to go!

All you need is:

Burlap (or any other fabric you like)
Scissors
Strong Thread or Twine
Needle
Dried Beans
Poly Filler
Cork, Stick, or Pumpkin Stem
Any Embellishments
Glue (I used E6000, but hot glue would work, too)
Most of all - Your Imagination


I made several sizes, but the one that I did the most of were ones that end up being 7 1/2 ' wide x 4" high.
Start by cutting a circle (in this case, 16" diameter).   Then, simply begin sewing a gather stitch around the edges.  I fold the edge over about 1/4 inch as I went along just to give the thread a little more to grab hold of.  Once done and before gathering all the way, put about 1 cup of dried beans on the bottom, then a good amount of fiber filler.  Don't worry about getting it to look finished at this point.


 Then, pull the thread and tack into place.  Leave the needle as you continue to stuff and fluff.  When it gets to the point you like, dry fit the "stem" to gauge the size of the hole you need to leave. 
Then, take the needle and thread and go around a few more times to secure the gather even more, pulling it tighter as you go.  Secure the last stitch then glue the stem in and embellish as you desire.  That's it!!
I really love these!  They are such a unique and simple decoration for the fall that will last through Thanksgiving.  The possibilities are endless in the style you choose...I prefer the natural look, but you can use old jewelry, glitter, buttons, etc. etc.
I would LOVE to see your version of these!  If you make some, please post pictures on my Facebook page!
'Til next time!

10 comments:

  1. Cute, sweet idea for Autumn...
    I need something for my kitchen table and these would be perfect.
    They are CUTE~!
    Thanks for the inspiration...
    (=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love these and they are sooooo easy to make, and that makes it even better. It takes me probably 15 minutes to whip one up. :) I'd love for you to share yours when you are done!!

      Delete
  2. Sorry, this is a silly question I know, but how do I secure the gather? I think I understand the initial folding over the edge and gather stitch. Thanks for your help and the awesome Autumn craft idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No silly questions! :) All I do is whip stitch it to hold the thread in place so the gather doesn't loosen up. Then, I'll go around the gather a few more times before I glue the cork in place. I usually do 3 or 4 more passes, pulling it tighter each time, then secure the last stitch. I'm sure there's probably a better way to do it, but the less I have to pull out the sewing machine, the better I am. :)

      You could hem the edges, then put a piece of twine in there to pull it...but with burlap, I would be afraid it would unravel.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your help! My goal is to get the materials to make them this weekend and carve out some crafting time. :)

      Delete
    3. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! :) I'm having surgery Friday, so this weekend is going to be kicked back with feet up and on the computer, I'm sure. :) You can email at stone.creek@verizon.net.

      Delete
  3. I also updated the post to hopefully make it a little clearer. I'd love to see it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this - Found it over at Hometalk - great project for fall so it's going on my to do list.

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are just beautiful! I shared a link to your tutorial on my blog- http://autumnfunforthewholefamily.blogspot.com/2014/10/burlap-pumpkins.html

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes, You Just Need to Look Past the Ugly....

Many, many times I will buy the most ugliest piece at auction - then be amused by the looks I get as I proudly walk out with my "prize...